Here are links and documents about the Olympics and their impact on host cities.
Here is the infamous Host City Contract that ALL four finalist cities MUST sign prior to October 2, 2009. This is the
one that all four 2012 finalists had to sign in Singapore in 2005, just before that decision was announced.
Oh, and to all the Aldermen, news organizations, civic groups and Olympic boosters who claimed NOT to know about the mandate to sign the Host City Contract, why don’t you download the Olympic Charter and look at pages 74 and 76. Paragraphs 34.3.3 and 37.1 – pretty plain language. We intrepret the clauses as “Put up or shut up. We play and your citizens pay. Signed, the IOC.”
– Olympic Studies International Directory
– Centre for Olympic Studies & Research, Loughborough University
– International Centre for Olympic Studies, University of Western Ontario
– Australian Centre for Olympic Studies, Sydney Technology University
– Olympic Studies Center, University of Barcelona
– Centre on Housing Rights and Evictions, Geneva, Siwtzerland
Organizing against the Olympics
– In Vacouver – Hosting the 2010 Winter Games
– In London – Hosting the 2012 Summer Games
There are hundreds of academic reports, books, newpaper and magazine accounts of the impact of the games on host cities. Here are a few we have found particularly relevant. See this page for links to articles from the press of other host cities.
– Mega-Events: The effect of the world’s biggest sporting events on local, regional, and national economies
– The Olympic Effect – Andrew Rose
– Fair Play for Housing Rights – Megaega -Events , Olympic Games and Housing Rights (large file) – Centre on Housing Rights & Evictions
– CHICAGO AND THE 2016 OLYMPICS: Why Host the Games? How Should We Host the Games? What Should We Accomplish by Hosting the Games? – DePau; Egan Center